Magnum 70th anniversary in Hong Kong
In 2017 Magnum Photos will celebrate 70 years of contribution to photography and world history with the launch of a global public events, exhibition and new content programme.
Centered on the three themes of community, witnessing history and Magnum Photos Now, the special anniversary program will explore the institution and photographer personalities of then and now, that have been central to past and current visual culture.
Public events across New York, London, Paris and in Asia will give people the opportunity to get closer to Magnum at 70 and its evolution into a forward-thinking media brand.
Through engagement with its archival and contemporary work, Magnum Photos is committed to connecting more people to the importance of the image and the need to continue telling the world’s most important stories.
An exclusive programme to be held in Hong Kong over the year
With its new presence in Asia Magnum Photos is offering a special programme in the region, including events to be hosted in Hong Kong in association with Fine Art Asia, Asia’s leading international fine art fair and Boogie Woogie Photography:
- Magnum Photos Now: an annual programme of talks in partnership with prestigious local cultural institutions.
Launching in March 2017 at the Hong Kong Arts Centre, Magnum Photos Now brings the three organizations together to curate a series of lively debates that will consider critical discourses around photography, exploring its evolution and reflecting its place in the global art market and journalism. The talks will be led by acclaimed Magnum photographers, collectors and curators, to name a few.
- Masterclass and Workshops: Alongside with the talks, each Magnum Photographer will lead an educational activity related to the talk theme with a duration of 1 to 5 days. This will give an opportunity to go into further discussion during an inspirational Masterclass and/or shooting Workshop.
Activities offer practical, technical and theoretical training to help participants develop their own visual language and the skills required to compete in photography’s ever-changing marketplace.
Agenda and Inscriptions
- March 24th to 26th: 3 days Masterclass with Matt Stuart at the Hong Kong Arts Centre
Apply Here: http://pro.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?VP3=CMS3&VF=MAGO31_4&VBID=2K1HZOQ0TKAE1I&IID=2K1HRGK59CS7
- March 26th: Talk at the Hong Kong Arts Centre
3:30 – 5:30pm, Hong Kong Arts Centre Cinema, free admission - http://www.hkaconlineregistration.com/
- May 19th to 21st: 3 days Masterclass with Stuart Franklin at the University Museum and Art Gallery, The University of Hong Kong
Apply here: http://pro.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?VP3=CMS3&VF=MAGO31_4&VBID=2K1HZOQ0TKAE1I&IID=2K1HRGK3TENH
- May 20th: Talk at University Museum and Art Gallery, The University of Hong Kong
- September 29th to October 3rd: 5 days Workshop with Chien-Chi Chang at Asia One Communications Group
- October 2nd: Talk at Asia Society Hong Kong Center
Applications to be open soon
This event programme is organized with the generous support of Jet Airways, Hong Kong Arts Centre, the University Museum and Art Gallery - The University of Hong Kong, Asia Society Hong Kong Center and Asia One Communications Group.