by Cristina de Middel
Dec 18 - Dec 22 2019
Fosun Foundation zhongshangdong Second Road
Cristina de Middel takes the lead on an intensive creative exercise in Shanghai, in this unique workshop by Magnum Photos.
Transport your work off a computer screen and discover what it takes to create photobooks that bring new perspectives.
Breaking down the boundaries between documentary and conceptual photography, Cristina de Middel will introduce students to her practice and set a related creative assignment. The group will then work towards the delivery of an edited, physical body of work during the 5 days.
Through this workshop, develop your own personal style and sense of authorship through storytelling. Acquire the skills to deliver a creative project, from concept and shooting, toediting for a book format.
Playing with the concept of reality and testing the photographer’s capacity to visually reinvent the world around them, this workshop seeks to push participants outside their photographic comfort zone.
Participants should come fully equipped with a camera and laptop with editing software.
Where & When
FOSUN FOUNDATION, No. 600, zhongshangdong Second Road, Huangpu District, Shanghai from 18 December - Sunday 22 with evening shooting and activities
The workshop will be held in English, with a Chinese translator.
We advise participants to arrive on the 17th and depart on the 23rd December
Price (incl. VAT): 12000 RMB
Terms and Conditions apply
See the bottom of this page for more details.
Selection and Requirements
The places are allocated on a first come first served basis.
To book your place on this workshop please contact Miss Guo:
For enquiries relating to this project please email Dubheasa Lanipekun:
About Cristina de Middel
Cristina De Middel is a photographer whose work investigates photography’s ambiguous relationship to truth. Blending documentary and conceptual photographic practices, she plays with reconstructions and archetypes in order to build a more layered understanding of the subject she approaches. From the premise that the description of the world provided by mass media is reducing the real understanding of the world we live in, her selection of subjects responds to the urgency of completing the portrait or re-launching the debate taking the potential of photography as the raw material for her story-telling. De Middel’s work has received numerous awards in both the editorial and the artistic field, including PhotoFolio Arles 2012, Finalist of the Deutsche Börse Prize, and the Infinity Award from the International Center of Photography in New York. Her series Midnight at the Crossroads, in collaboration with Bruno Morais – exploring African spiritual roots and their heritage in America territories – will be subject of an exhibition presented at La Croisière of the Rencontres d’Arles Festival 2018.
Terms and Conditions
• Magnum Photos reserves the right to cancel groups with less than 8 participants. Students will be given a full refund. In the event of cancellation, students will be given at least 2 weeks advance notice
• Magnum Photos reserves the right to change or alter the program advertised
• Travel insurance is mandatory.
• The workshop fee does not include international transport, accommodation in Shanghai or ground expenses.
• For International applicants, Magnum Photos is not responsible for reimbursement of travel expenses in case the workshop is cancelled. We highly recommend that you buy refundable tickets and/or travel insurance
• Cancellations: Magnum will reimburse the totality of the ticket price is cancellation is made at least 21 days before the start of the workshop, minus a $50 administrative fee. We will charge 50% of the ticket price if cancellation is made between 15 and 21 days before the workshop and 100% of the ticket price if cancellation is made less than 15 days before the start of the workshop.