Make a selection
Make a selection
Sign in / Register
Magnum Documentary Photography Course: in association with London College of Communication
Aug 1 - Aug 21 2014
Elephant & Castle - SE1
Magnum Photos is an agency synonymous with integrity, curiosity and ‘concerned’ photography. For over sixty years, Magnum’s international photographers have chronicled the world; helping to shape documentary photography as a modern form of both artistic expression and a tool for change.
As a modern agency, the current preoccupation is focused on the role of authorship in an image-saturated world. In conjunction with Magnum’s historic archive, a new means of culturally relevant production is being explored, leading to a greater dialogue with the wider market, expanded platforms and emerging geographies. With over six decades of experience and with access to world-leading photographers and professionals, Magnum Photos is committed in the transfer of its accumulated knowledge to a new generation of visual storytellers.
During this three-week course, students will become absorbed in the practice and history of documentary photography and Magnum's legacy and contemporary contribution to it. The course will support development and production of photographic projects from start to finish.
The course will be led by acclaimed, award-winning Magnum photographers Stuart Franklin and Chris Steele-Perkins, alongside experienced tutors from London College of Communication, and will consider all elements of successful project development; from research phases, to access and shooting, to the editing and creation of a public projection and final book dummy, supported by leading book designer and publisher, Stuart Smith.
The course will focus on the theme ‘A Sense of Place’; the conveyance of a narrative about a particular geography, identity or culture. Magnum & LCC will equip students with the historical and contextual framework required to raise critical thinking about documentary photography, as well as providing technical guidance and tutorial support. Class time will be supported by evening lectures from LCC staff and a selection of Magnum photographers.
The experience of joining the Magnum Documentary Photography Course will be a unique and positive learning experience, with a social dimension that will allow students to interact with others; sharing ideas and expertise.
The course will consist of these main elements:
• Shooting on location – daily assignments and briefs in London
• Magnum Print Room – you will spend a weekend learning the mechanics of the photography business, networking and career development
• Lectures - led by Magnum photographers and LCC staff
• Critique – individually and in groups, looking at technique, subject and personal voice
• Book production – learning how editing, sequencing and design can reveal narrative
• Graduation party –celebrate and display work digitally to a public and industry audience
The learning outcomes connected to the course are:
• Create an industry standard and academically informed body of photographic work
• Have unique insight into the history of documentary photography
• Engage in critical debates on ethics, industry and technology in contemporary photographic practice
• Continue developing essential skills in writing, editing and making work for different audiences
01/08/2014 - 21/08/2014 Monday - Friday 11:00 - 17:00 3 Weeks £3000 Elephant & Castle – SE1
MORE INFORMATION & BOOKING DETAILS
About London College of Communication: LCC is a pioneering world leader in media and design education, and research programmes geared to preparing students for successful creative careers. Our courses are known for being industry focused with students taught by an inspiring community of experienced academics, technical experts and leading specialist practitioners. Generations of award-winning photographers, filmmakers, screenwriters, journalists, broadcasters, designers and advertising and PR professionals have started their careers at LCC, and today’s graduates continue to be highly sought after and win prestigious international awards.